Leave entitlements of Transport Board drivers and conductors had been cancelled due to the scheduled countrywide bus strike, SLTB Chairman Ramal Siriwardana said.
He said the SLTB would assign to service during the countrywide private bus strike.
Mr Siriwardana also said that many SLTB buses would be assigned as the people had been inconvenienced due to the strike.
“Buses would be assigned, not according to the current time table but as per requirement of passengers. The SLTB operates 6,100 buses but about 5,500 buses are operational. Rest of the buses are not assigned for transport service due to shortage of drivers,” Siriwardana said.
“Therefore, I have instructed and requested the depot officials to assign experienced drivers, who have obtained heavy vehicle driving license, and even employees in the mechanical, technical sections and those who in the service extension to take on the wheels,” he said.
“I have instructed all Provincial Depots to assign as many buses as possible,” he said. (Chaturanga Samarawickrama)
wilowsd Wednesday, 16 May 2018 13:35
Shortage of drivers can be covered with using our war heroes, I am sure they would not mind helping the c0untry again.
Reply : 2 45
vithura Wednesday, 16 May 2018 15:15
Cancel the private transport operator licences of all those on strike, job done in one stroke!
Reply : 0 17
Saman Wednesday, 16 May 2018 15:35
At the same time ministry should bring real buses that are comfortable (not lorries with bus bodies) and strengthen the public service. Private sector never going to allow us to have proper transport system.
Reply : 0 15
Jinga Wednesday, 16 May 2018 15:51
Let's teach the private owners a lesson.nothing can be achieved by going on strike.
Reply : 0 13
Add commentComments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.